ISSA Message From The President
By ISSA President Tim Hogan
High School Sailing continues to expand! Just when we thought we had hit our highest number of registered schools, we have exceeded that number. High School sailing continues to be the fastest growing niche in sailing in the United States.
We have just completed our fall season and have very impressive results. The 2014 fall season highlights are:
- 500 schools anticipated to be registered this year.
- 6,300 sailors participating this year. This is an increase of 20%.
- 113 events have been sailed over the 12 weeks this fall.
- 1,949 separate entries which is an average of 17 teams per event.
- 36 of the top laser sailors raced for the single handed championships this year at Bellingham Yacht Club.
- 9 schools competed in our first Keelboat invitational held at St. Petersburg Yacht Club, Florida in Sonars.
- 39 teams from the US competed in the 13th Annual Great Oaks regatta at Southern Yacht Club, New Orleans.
- 60 Pacific Coast teams have sailed in two district regattas at Newport Harbor Yacht Club and Monterey Yacht Club.
ISSA continues to expand the number of regattas across the country giving additional opportunities to get students on the water and experience this great sport.
All of this is accomplished through the help of dedicated volunteers, school teams, yacht clubs, community centers, college programs and sponsors. Specifically I’d like to thank LaserPerformance for their continued support of the singlehanded Championship with 36 new Lasers. Thank you all for your help in our continued success.